Several contenders for Prez post, says Paswan
Patna: Lok Janshakti Party chief Ramvilas Paswan Monday said there were several contenders in the fray for the post of President after Pratibha Patil.
"Now there are several contenders for the post in the rest for the forthcoming presidential polls in the country," Paswan said without naming anyone.
He said national parties like Congress and BJP had not not opened their cards on the subject so far.
Presidential elections would be held in July.
Questioning the justification of setting up the Savarna Commission to identify the underprivileged families among upper castes in Bihar, Paswan said it would meet with a similar fate as that of the Bandopadhyay Commission on Land reforms, the recommendations of which were yet to be implemented.
Paswan, however, advocated 10 per cent reservation for the poor among the upper caste.
He alleged that Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had constituted the Savarna Commission for vote bank politics.
On the Mahadalit Commission, Paswan told reporters that the government used the name `Mahadalit` for getting grants from the Centre though there is no mention about such a term in the Constitution.
Paswan also described as "drama" the Seva Yatra launched by Kumar, saying people had lost faith in such yatras for "political gain" at the cost of the state exchequer.
"The promises being made by Kumar are not being fulfilled. Kumar has even sent Hitler`s Goebbels behind in his spread of propaganda," he alleged.
He said LJP would launch a signature campaign from April 30 to press for promulgation of financial emergency and sacking of Nitish Kumar government in Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed