Sexual harassment case: Allegations against me are baseless, says Justice Ganguly
Zee Media Bureau/Manisha Singh
New Delhi: Even as the resignation of Justice AK Ganguly as West Bengal Human Rights Commission was accepted by Governor M K Narayanan, the retired Supreme Court judge said that the allegations against him regarding sexual harassment case were baseless.
As per reports on Tuesday, the former SC judge has denied all the allegations against him in his resignation letter and says that the purported recommendation to the President for his removal was based on grounds, which were untenable and misconceived.
He has also reportedly said that he has no attachment to any post unless he was able to work with dignity, honour. He added that under the present situation it was not possible to do so.
"To obviate any further controversy and to ensure peace and happiness of the members of my family and having regard to the fact that I headed the high office of a judge and presently holding the post of chairman of WBHRC and being humbly of the view that I have lived up to the expectation of both, I have decided to resign from the post of chairman of the Commission with immediate effect," the former Supreme Court judge said in his letter dated January six.
Earlier today Ganguly`s resignation was accepted by the Governor as per sources. The Governor has also reportedly informed the state government about it.
Ganguly had met the West Bengal Governor yesterday, fuelling speculations that he might have resigned as the Chairman of the WBHRC.
After meeting the Governor he refused to make any comment to the waiting media.
There had been immense pressure on him to quit as the WBHRC chief after he was accused of accused of sexually harassing a law intern. He has been indicted by a Supreme Court panel.
Meanwhile, the apex court had yesterday quashed two petitions seeking a stay on Centre`s move to remove him as the chief of WBHRC. The Union Cabinet had cleared the note for presidential reference against him last week after he refused to quit on his own.
However, now that the judge has quit on his on his own, the Presidential reference has become invalid.
The PIL filed in the SC had also sought the quashing of the three-member committee report indicting Ganguly for harassing the law intern in a Delhi hotel last year. The petitioner had claimed that that the judge was being maligned and was a victim of conspiracy.
The petition claimed that Justice Ganguly was being maligned as he had in an arbitration suspended Mohun Bagan for walking out of a football league match against the East Bengal club. The All India Football Federation subsequently revoked Mohun Bagan`s suspension but slapped a Rs 2 crore fine on it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees