Sexual harassment case: Justice Ganguly gets support from Somnath Chatterjee
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: West Bengal Human Rights Commission chairman AK Ganguly has found support from former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee. Defending Ganguly, Chatterjee said that he had faith in him.
AK Ganguly has been indicted by a Supreme Court judges panel in an sexual molestation case of a law intern. Somnath said that the exercise against him was `overzealous`.
"He will decide what has to be done," Chatterjee said on being asked if the former Supreme Court judge should resign as chairman of the WBHRC.
He also said that just because there was an allegation against him, he need not quit. However, at the same time he added that if Ganguly was proven guilty then he would be punished in accordance of the law of the country.
Clamour has been growing from several quarters for the resignation of the former SC judge. Several women activist groups and political parties like the BJP want him to step down as chairman of WBHRC.
He was chosen for the post by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee when she assumed office in 2011.
Chatterjee was also quoted as saying - "I don`t know under what authority they went into it and then forthwith decided not to touch any such matter" – when asked about the three-judge panel`s indictment of Justice Ganguly,
The Supreme Court committee of three judges has indicted Justice Ganguly for his "unwelcome behaviour" and "conduct of sexual nature" towards the law intern.
Justice Ganguly has strongly denied the charge.
Chief Justice of India P Sathasivam has, however, said, "No further follow up action is required by this Court" in view of the fact that Justice Ganguly had demitted office on the day of the incident (Dec 24 last year).
Justice Ganguly, who retired from the apex court more than a year ago, was accused by the intern of sexually harassing her in a hotel room in Delhi.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday