Sexual harassment case: Justice Ganguly gets support from Somnath Chatterjee
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: West Bengal Human Rights Commission chairman AK Ganguly has found support from former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee. Defending Ganguly, Chatterjee said that he had faith in him.
AK Ganguly has been indicted by a Supreme Court judges panel in an sexual molestation case of a law intern. Somnath said that the exercise against him was `overzealous`.
"He will decide what has to be done," Chatterjee said on being asked if the former Supreme Court judge should resign as chairman of the WBHRC.
He also said that just because there was an allegation against him, he need not quit. However, at the same time he added that if Ganguly was proven guilty then he would be punished in accordance of the law of the country.
Clamour has been growing from several quarters for the resignation of the former SC judge. Several women activist groups and political parties like the BJP want him to step down as chairman of WBHRC.
He was chosen for the post by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee when she assumed office in 2011.
Chatterjee was also quoted as saying - "I don`t know under what authority they went into it and then forthwith decided not to touch any such matter" – when asked about the three-judge panel`s indictment of Justice Ganguly,
The Supreme Court committee of three judges has indicted Justice Ganguly for his "unwelcome behaviour" and "conduct of sexual nature" towards the law intern.
Justice Ganguly has strongly denied the charge.
Chief Justice of India P Sathasivam has, however, said, "No further follow up action is required by this Court" in view of the fact that Justice Ganguly had demitted office on the day of the incident (Dec 24 last year).
Justice Ganguly, who retired from the apex court more than a year ago, was accused by the intern of sexually harassing her in a hotel room in Delhi.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- GST: 1% additional tax dropped; states to get full compensation for first 5 years
- Did PCB chief Shaharyar Khan gift 'hijabs' to ECB's female staff? Here's the truth...
- Brie Larson admits she feared backlash for 'Captain Marvel' casting
- Karnataka bus strike called off but do you know how much it cost the exchequer?
- Terrorists planning to target PM Narendra Modi with drone on Independence Day?