Sexual harassment case: Justice Ganguly gets support from Somnath Chatterjee
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: West Bengal Human Rights Commission chairman AK Ganguly has found support from former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee. Defending Ganguly, Chatterjee said that he had faith in him.
AK Ganguly has been indicted by a Supreme Court judges panel in an sexual molestation case of a law intern. Somnath said that the exercise against him was `overzealous`.
"He will decide what has to be done," Chatterjee said on being asked if the former Supreme Court judge should resign as chairman of the WBHRC.
He also said that just because there was an allegation against him, he need not quit. However, at the same time he added that if Ganguly was proven guilty then he would be punished in accordance of the law of the country.
Clamour has been growing from several quarters for the resignation of the former SC judge. Several women activist groups and political parties like the BJP want him to step down as chairman of WBHRC.
He was chosen for the post by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee when she assumed office in 2011.
Chatterjee was also quoted as saying - "I don`t know under what authority they went into it and then forthwith decided not to touch any such matter" – when asked about the three-judge panel`s indictment of Justice Ganguly,
The Supreme Court committee of three judges has indicted Justice Ganguly for his "unwelcome behaviour" and "conduct of sexual nature" towards the law intern.
Justice Ganguly has strongly denied the charge.
Chief Justice of India P Sathasivam has, however, said, "No further follow up action is required by this Court" in view of the fact that Justice Ganguly had demitted office on the day of the incident (Dec 24 last year).
Justice Ganguly, who retired from the apex court more than a year ago, was accused by the intern of sexually harassing her in a hotel room in Delhi.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city