SFI leader chained to bed in govt hospital in Siliguri
Kolkata/Siliguri: Stoking controversy, a SFI student leader in judicial custody has been chained to his bed at a state-run hospital with the police saying that the jail authorities be asked about it.
The first year student, Santosh Sahani, was arrested on April 10 after a clash between Trinamool Congress and Left supporters in Siliguri.
He fell ill while in judicial custody yesterday and was admitted to the North Bengal Medical College and Hospital near Siliguri.
"He is in judicial custody, it is for the jail authorities to answer. The police have nothing to do to it," Commissioner of Police, Anant Kumar told PTI over telephone from Siliguri.
CPI(M) leader Ashok Bhattacharya went to visit Sahani during the day and found him chained to the bed.
Live footage of the SFI student leader being chained to the bed was shown on television.
"The West Bengal government is claiming that it is a government with a human face. But the condition of human rights in Bengal is worse than the days of emergency," Left Front Chairman Biman Bose said.
"The incident is condemnable. It should not have happened, " WBPCC president Pradip Bhattacharjee said.
Human rights activist Sujato Bhadro said it was a gross violation of human rights.
"You can never do such thing with an accused. He is yet to be proved guilty. Even if he is proven guilty you can`t chain him when he is under treatment. This is a gross violation of human rights," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack