SFI leader’s death: Family demands CBI inquiry
Kolkata: The family of SFI leader Sudipto Gupta on Friday said that they did not expect justice from West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and reiterated the demand for a CBI inquiry into his death after meeting Governor M K Narayanan.
"We want a CBI inquiry into Sudipto`s death because a CBI inquiry can only bring out the truth," the SFI leader`s sister Sumita told newsmen after meeting the Governor at the Raj Bhavan with her father Pronob Gupta and Leader of the Opposition Suryakanta Mishra.
Sumita said the Governor heard them, but did not make any comment.
Asked whether the family would appeal to the chief minister, Sumita said, "We don`t expect anything from her.
"We had asked for justice and instead of giving justice she had termed my brother`s death a petty matter. So we have no expectations from her. That is why we came to meet the governor," she said.
Banerjee had yesterday termed the death of Sudipto a `a small and petty matter` and had rubbished the allegations of police atrocities behind his death.
Sumita also referred to the statement of the driver of the bus which took SFI members arrested after a protest rally to the Presidency Jail on April 2.
"The bus driver also said that the police made a lathi-charge and my brother received fatal injuries," she said.
The bus driver, Raja Das, who was arrested and later released on bail, today claimed that on the day the police made a lath-charge on the students.
"There was lot of chaos. The police resorted to a lathi-charge. The police are now trying to frame me," Das said.
Asked to react to the driver`s statement, Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Pallab Kanti Ghosh said, "I have not heard what he said. So I won`t comment on it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal