SFI protests student`s death in Kolkata
Kolkata: The Students Federation of India (SFI) on Thursday observed a students` strike to protest the death of its leader Sudipta Gupta, setting up roadblocks in West Bengal, including the capital.
SFI members blocked busy roads in the metropolis and other parts of the state for 15 minutes at 11 am.
The blockade was peaceful, police sources said.
Several schools and colleges remained open ignoring the SFI`s call for a student strike.
The CPI(M)`s 12-hour general strike at Garia and Tollygunge in the southern suburbs, where Gupta lived and studied during his school and college days, was peaceful.
Gupta, a 22-year-old MA student at the Rabindra Bharati University, died while being taken to jail following a law violation programme by the SFI on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged