SFI protests student`s death in Kolkata
Kolkata: The Students Federation of India (SFI) on Thursday observed a students` strike to protest the death of its leader Sudipta Gupta, setting up roadblocks in West Bengal, including the capital.
SFI members blocked busy roads in the metropolis and other parts of the state for 15 minutes at 11 am.
The blockade was peaceful, police sources said.
Several schools and colleges remained open ignoring the SFI`s call for a student strike.
The CPI(M)`s 12-hour general strike at Garia and Tollygunge in the southern suburbs, where Gupta lived and studied during his school and college days, was peaceful.
Gupta, a 22-year-old MA student at the Rabindra Bharati University, died while being taken to jail following a law violation programme by the SFI on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars