Shantiniketan row: Warden, parents arrested; granted bail
Kolkata: The West Bengal authorities on Monday arrested Uma Poddar, the warden of Karabi hostel, who allegedly forced a class five student of the Visva-Bharati`s Patha Bhavan School to drink her urine as a punishment for bedwetting.
Poddar was arrested following a complaint by girl’s parents at the Bolpur Police Station in Birbhum district, some 160 km from state capital.
The incident happened Saturday evening when Poddar, while on an inspection, found Punita guilty of bedwetting. She allegedly then forced the minor to drink her urine as a punishment.
The girl later narrated the whole incident to her mother and her parents along with several other people stormed the hostel premises and allegedly manhandled Poddar.
A complaint was also lodged by the school administration against the victim’s parents, who have also been rounded by the police for entering the hostel premises without permission.
Hours later, both Poddar and the girl’s parents were granted bail by the local court.
The Visva-Bharati University, which earlier denied the incident and claimed the child was ill, later constituted a four member fact-finding committee to look into the allegation.
"We have received a complaint that a class 5 residential student of the Patha Bhavan was allegedly made to drink her urine as a punishment. A four member fact finding committee headed by former dean of students welfare, Aruna Mukherjee has been set up to look into the matter and submit its report to the vice chancellor of the University," a university spokesman said.
Taking cognizance of the incident, the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) has also sought a report from the University, which was founded by Rabindranath Tagore.
With PTI Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire