Shantiniketan row: Warden, parents arrested; granted bail
Kolkata: The West Bengal authorities on Monday arrested Uma Poddar, the warden of Karabi hostel, who allegedly forced a class five student of the Visva-Bharati`s Patha Bhavan School to drink her urine as a punishment for bedwetting.
Poddar was arrested following a complaint by girl’s parents at the Bolpur Police Station in Birbhum district, some 160 km from state capital.
The incident happened Saturday evening when Poddar, while on an inspection, found Punita guilty of bedwetting. She allegedly then forced the minor to drink her urine as a punishment.
The girl later narrated the whole incident to her mother and her parents along with several other people stormed the hostel premises and allegedly manhandled Poddar.
A complaint was also lodged by the school administration against the victim’s parents, who have also been rounded by the police for entering the hostel premises without permission.
Hours later, both Poddar and the girl’s parents were granted bail by the local court.
The Visva-Bharati University, which earlier denied the incident and claimed the child was ill, later constituted a four member fact-finding committee to look into the allegation.
"We have received a complaint that a class 5 residential student of the Patha Bhavan was allegedly made to drink her urine as a punishment. A four member fact finding committee headed by former dean of students welfare, Aruna Mukherjee has been set up to look into the matter and submit its report to the vice chancellor of the University," a university spokesman said.
Taking cognizance of the incident, the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) has also sought a report from the University, which was founded by Rabindranath Tagore.
With PTI Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre