Shashi Tharoor hails SC verdict on Saradha
Kolkata: Congress MP Shashi Tharoor today said the Supreme Court verdict directing a CBI probe into the Saradha ponzi scam was "historic".
"It is welcome and historic that a CBI probe has been allowed by the Supreme Court in response to several PILs and a move which Congress party had been supporting from the beginning," Tharoor said at a news conference here.
Tharoor said Congress was not trying to make any political vendetta out of this. "We are more concerned about the plight of 18 lakh innocent people who were deprived by these unscrupulous companies. What is required is a transparent probe," Tharoor said adding West Bengal government, it seemed, was trying to cover up the matter by not asking for such a probe.
Now it would be the duty of CBI to identify the guilty and punish them which would also act as a deterrent for any such future misdeeds.
Taking potshots at BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, Tharoor said it was surprising to see he was attacking the EC and also threatened to file an FIR.
"But I want to state that the mounting desperation for the top job would certainly get eased results are out on May 16," he said.
"The party has raised expectations beyond their ability to meet," he said.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Hope intellectuals from India, China take part in Mind and Life conference: Dalai Lama
- Despite carnage, Syria`s Aleppo not in fighting `freeze`
- AP Board SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- Deal reached in Ireland to form minority government: Party
- Venkaiah Naidu, Siddaramaiah flag off south India's first underground Metro