Showcause notice to channels run by Saradha group
New Delhi: The Information and Broadcasting Ministry has issued showcause notices to the channels run by West Bengal-based Saradha group for alleged violations of uplinking and downlinking guidelines.
The ministry has also asked the Home Ministry to specify if its clearance to the channels is still valid after it came to notice that new people had been nominated as directors in the company that runs the channels, a senior official said.
According to officials, the ministry found there were changes in shareholding pattern which suggested that the company that owned the channels had been taken over by the Saradha group.
It was also found that three persons had been nominated as directors in company that ran the channels without informing the I&B ministry which again amounted to violating rules.
Officials said that while the ministry`s showcause notice had not been replied by the company, they were now awaiting a reply by the Home Ministry.
A withdrawal of security clearance for the channels could mean that the permissions granted to them are withdrawn and they are no longer allowed to operate, officials said.
The Saradha group is accused of cheating lakhs of chit fund investors of several crores. The Mamata Banerjee led government had in the past announced that it planned to take over two of the channels to provide relief to the employees.
I&B officials said that they were also carrying out a comprehensive exercise where they were going through documents submitted by all TV broadcasters to check if there were other channels which have violated any of its guidelines.
There are more than 800 channels in the Indian broadcasting space.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA