SI murder: Court grants CID ten-day custody of TMC councillor
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress (TMC) councillor Mohammed Iqbal was sent to 10-day CID custody by a city court which rejected his bail petition in the sub-inspector murder case in violence in Garden Reach area.
Iqbal was produced today in the Alipore court by CID on a transit remand after he was arrested in Bihar.
The judge rejected Iqbal`s bail petition which was moved by his lawyer and granted CID his custody for 10 days.
He would be produced before the court again on March 20.
Iqbal alias Munna was earlier brought here by CID on a transit remand following his arrest at Dehri-on-Sone in Bihar, 23 days after the Garden Reach incident in which sub-inspector Tapas Choudhury was shot dead on February 12.
A large crowd gathered outside the Alipore court as a CID team brought Iqbal, a local TMC councillor and borough chairman of the area, there and held demonstration in his support. Police had a tough time in controlling the crowd.
Earlier, a team of Kolkata police had produced Iqbal before the Gaya magistrate and sought for a production warrant which was granted.
Deputy Superintendent of Police, Rail, Arun Kumar Tiwari said Iqbal, who was arrested from a PCO booth in Dehri-on-Sone near Gaya on Thursday, was brought here under CID custody.
Sub-inspector Tapas Choudhury was shot dead during clashes between Congress and TMC supporters near Hari Mohan Ghosh College in Garden Reach in Kolkata during distribution of nomination forms for student union elections on February 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP