Singur case: Calcutta HC refuses to gag media
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Tuesday witnessed moments of high drama during hearing in Singur case
with Tata Motors` counsel refusing to depose over the alleged
"personal attack" by a West Bengal government lawyer and the
judge turning down Advocate General`s plea to order a media
gag on the day`s proceedings.
At the start of the hearing this morning, Tata Motors`
counsel Samaraditya Pal alleged that Kalyan Bandopadhyay, the
counsel for the West Bengal government, had made personal
attacks against him on a TV channel last night.
Pal told the court that he was mentally disturbed and
was not in a position to depose as he could not prepare
himself and also felt like quitting the case.
Justice Saumitra Pal said that he was also embarrassed
with the episode.
Bandopadhyay was not present in the court.
After the court re-assembled in the afternoon, Justice
Pal called both Advocate General Anindya and Pal and spoke to
them in private.
Mitra then requested Justice Pal to order mediapersons
present in the courtroom not to publicise the allegations and
counter-allegations, which the judge refused to do.
Justice Saumitra Pal told the Advocate General that
the media was just carrying out its duty.
The hearing will continue tomorrow.
The High Court is hearing the Tata Motors` writ
petition challenging the Singur Land Development and
Rehabilitation Act 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble