Singur case: Calcutta HC refuses to gag media
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Tuesday witnessed moments of high drama during hearing in Singur case
with Tata Motors` counsel refusing to depose over the alleged
"personal attack" by a West Bengal government lawyer and the
judge turning down Advocate General`s plea to order a media
gag on the day`s proceedings.
At the start of the hearing this morning, Tata Motors`
counsel Samaraditya Pal alleged that Kalyan Bandopadhyay, the
counsel for the West Bengal government, had made personal
attacks against him on a TV channel last night.
Pal told the court that he was mentally disturbed and
was not in a position to depose as he could not prepare
himself and also felt like quitting the case.
Justice Saumitra Pal said that he was also embarrassed
with the episode.
Bandopadhyay was not present in the court.
After the court re-assembled in the afternoon, Justice
Pal called both Advocate General Anindya and Pal and spoke to
them in private.
Mitra then requested Justice Pal to order mediapersons
present in the courtroom not to publicise the allegations and
counter-allegations, which the judge refused to do.
Justice Saumitra Pal told the Advocate General that
the media was just carrying out its duty.
The hearing will continue tomorrow.
The High Court is hearing the Tata Motors` writ
petition challenging the Singur Land Development and
Rehabilitation Act 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery