Singur verdit `historic`: Mamata Banerjee
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata
Banerjee on Wednesday described as a "historic verdict" the Calcutta
High Court`s order upholding validity of the Singur Land
Rehabilitation and Development Act 2011 by which West Bengal
government vested the land leased to Tata Motors Limited.
"Today`s verdict is historic verdict. Agitation of the
farmers in Singur has not only shown the path to other parts
of India, but also to the whole world," Banerjee said after
the High Court verdict.
"I am grateful to the court, I have the highest respect
for the judiciary," she said.
Banerjee said after the stay given by the court on
operation of the order till November 2, "We will decide on the
modalities of giving back the land to the farmers."
A large factory would be set up on 600 acres of land at
Singur, while the rest 400 acres will be returned to the
unwilling farmers who had not accepted compensation for the
acquisition made by the erstwhile Left Front government in
2006, the Chief Minister said.
In an apparent dig at the CPI(M) for slamming the Singur
Land Rehabilitation and Development Act, 2011 passed in the
Assembly, she said, "A lot had been said alleging we were in
great hurry to push through the Bill and were committing
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Battles in Libya's Sirte kill 34 fighters, injure over 180
- US gives proof of Pakistan's hand in Pathankot strike
- 3rd ODI: After contributing with bat, Ben Stokes eager to bowl against Pakistan
- Foreigners should not wear skirts and roam alone at night: Tourism minister
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor Khan spills glamour at Lakme Fashion Week 2016! – View pics