Singur verdit `historic`: Mamata Banerjee
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata
Banerjee on Wednesday described as a "historic verdict" the Calcutta
High Court`s order upholding validity of the Singur Land
Rehabilitation and Development Act 2011 by which West Bengal
government vested the land leased to Tata Motors Limited.
"Today`s verdict is historic verdict. Agitation of the
farmers in Singur has not only shown the path to other parts
of India, but also to the whole world," Banerjee said after
the High Court verdict.
"I am grateful to the court, I have the highest respect
for the judiciary," she said.
Banerjee said after the stay given by the court on
operation of the order till November 2, "We will decide on the
modalities of giving back the land to the farmers."
A large factory would be set up on 600 acres of land at
Singur, while the rest 400 acres will be returned to the
unwilling farmers who had not accepted compensation for the
acquisition made by the erstwhile Left Front government in
2006, the Chief Minister said.
In an apparent dig at the CPI(M) for slamming the Singur
Land Rehabilitation and Development Act, 2011 passed in the
Assembly, she said, "A lot had been said alleging we were in
great hurry to push through the Bill and were committing
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- If you survive in Mumbai cricket, you get rewarded: Shardul Thakur on maiden Test call-up
- Shah Rukh Khan remembers his school days, wonders how time has changed! Details inside
- Rio Olympics: Sachin Tendulkar meets wrestlers ahead of quadrennial event, boosts morale
- IPL 2016: Shane Watson reprimanded for using offensive language during match against Delhi Daredevils
- Photo alert! Aamir Khan dines with 'X-Men' star Ian McKellen