Sister Nivedita`s house in Darjeeling handed over to WB govt
Darjeeling: The Gorkhaland Territorial Administration, the hill council in Darjeeling, on Thursday handed over Sister Nivedita`s house there to the West Bengal government for being made into a centre of excellence by the Ramakrishna Mission.
The house was handed over at a function attended by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who is on a three-day visit to Darjeeling since May 14, and the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha President Bimal Gurung.
"The Ramakrishna Mission will take care of maintenance of the building," Banerjee said announcing Rs one crore from the state government for its renovation.
Banerjee said that the historic building would be made a heritage institution and would be used for the purpose of women`s empowerment.
Officials said that it would also be a centre for study of different languages, computer education and for training aspirants for IAS and IPS.
Roy Villa in Darjeeling is the house where Sister Nivedita died on 13 October, 1911.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says