Six arrested for lynching Bengal jute mill CEO
Kolkata: Six people have been arrested for the lynching of the chief executive officer of a jute mill in West Bengal`s Hooghly district, police said Monday.
HK Maheswari, CEO of North Brook Jute Mill in Bhadreswa, was beaten to death by agitated factory workers demanding an increase in weekly working hours.
Following the orders of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee who has alleged involvement of BJP and CPI-M affiliated trade union members in the attack, police have arrested six people since Sunday night.
"We have arrested six people in this connection and presented them before a court which remanded them to custody," said a police officer.
Of the six arrested, two each are members of the BJP affiliated Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh and CPI-M`s Centre of Indian Trade Unions.
However, both the workers` unions have denied the involvement claiming the arrested were not present at the site when the incident happened.
Meanwhile, the ruling Trinamool Congress during the day moved a motion in the state assembly condemning the murder of Maheswari.
"Militant trade unionism will not be tolerated," Banerjee said in the assembly.
Directing the police to take stringent action those who killed Maheswari and those who instigated the crime, Banerjee Sunday had alleged that members of the BJP and CPI-M trade unions killed the CEO.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings