Six killed in boat capsize at Sagar Islands, many missing
Kakdwip: At least six persons were
killed and many others missing when a motorised boat, carrying
nearly 50 passengers, capsized in Muriganga river on way to
Kakdwip in South 24 Parganas district today.
West Bengal Sunderbans Development Minister Kanti
Ganguly said 200 pilgrims from Uttar Pradesh were returning to
Kakdwip on four motorised boats after offering pujas at Kapil
Muni temple at Sagar Islands on the confluence of the Bay of
Bengal and Hooghly river when one of the vessels sank.
"The district magistrate of South 24-Parganas has
informed me that at least six persons have drowned and many
are missing, although their exact number could not be
verified," Ganguly said.
The minister said all-out efforts were being made to
rescue the missing, but it was proving very difficult to
undertake rescue operation due to strong currents in the river
and the gathering darkness.
SDO, SDPO and local MLAs were present at the site of
the disaster, he said.
Three bodies have been fished out and taken to Kakdwip
hospital, police said, adding most of the pilgrims swam ashore
or were rescued by locals at the bank known as `Lot Number
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of IS video proving the authenticity of Batla House encounter
- DNA: Analysis of how adulterated food is putting people's lives at risk
- DNA: How Potassium Bromate and Potassium Iodate in breads can cause cancer
- 'Asian Century' largely depends on India, China: Pranab Mukherjee
- Beijing medals at risk for Russia after positive re-tests
- IPL 2016: AB de Villiers, Iqbal Abdullah take RCB into final with stunning win over GL in Qualifier 1
- Must Read: These are Apple CEO Tim Cook's plans for India!
- NEET Ordinances get President's assent, decks cleared for UG medical admissions by states