Jalpaiguri: At least six labourers died and two others were taken ill after inhaling poisonous gas in West Bengal`s Jalpaiguri district Thursday.
Police said the labourers were building a septic tank at a place in the Rheabari tea garden when the concrete shuttering collapsed trapping them for a while.
Before they could be rescued, the six died after inhaling poisonous gas emanating from the tank, they said.
The dead were identified as Shakil Mia, Rizwan Mia, Jamil Mia, Mqsud Mia, Syed Mia and Sahaban Mia.
The injured have been rushed to the Birpara primary health centre for treatment.