Skeleton recovered in Nandigram
Nandigram (WB): Police on Thursday recovered a
human skeleton near Khejuri in East Midnapur district after
villagers suspected that a mass grave had been dug in the
The skeleton was found in a decrepit condition, East
Midnapur district Superintendent of Police Ashok Prasad
Prasad said the villagers had gathered at Kuntibari on
the banks of the Haldi River and had started digging the place
since morning after suspecting that a graveyard existed there.
The police was called in and the skeleton recovered,
The ruling Trinamool Congress has claimed the skeleton
as that of its supporter who was killed in the March 14, 2007
police firing in Nandigram.
A DNA test has been ordered, sources said.
With this, eleven skeletons have been recovered so far
from Nandigram block since the March 14 firing, police said.
Earlier eight skeletons were recovered in November 2007
and two more in December that year, police said.
At least 14 people were killed when police fired on
Bhumi Ucchhed Pratirodh Committee(BUPC) activists protesting
against land acquisition for a proposed chemical hub in
Nandigram in the March 14 firing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- `IS child bomber` behind Turkey wedding blast, claims President
- Welshman Gareth Bale fires Real Madrid past Real Sociadad 3-0 in the opening encounter
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon