Skeleton recovered in Nandigram
Nandigram (WB): Police on Thursday recovered a
human skeleton near Khejuri in East Midnapur district after
villagers suspected that a mass grave had been dug in the
The skeleton was found in a decrepit condition, East
Midnapur district Superintendent of Police Ashok Prasad
Prasad said the villagers had gathered at Kuntibari on
the banks of the Haldi River and had started digging the place
since morning after suspecting that a graveyard existed there.
The police was called in and the skeleton recovered,
The ruling Trinamool Congress has claimed the skeleton
as that of its supporter who was killed in the March 14, 2007
police firing in Nandigram.
A DNA test has been ordered, sources said.
With this, eleven skeletons have been recovered so far
from Nandigram block since the March 14 firing, police said.
Earlier eight skeletons were recovered in November 2007
and two more in December that year, police said.
At least 14 people were killed when police fired on
Bhumi Ucchhed Pratirodh Committee(BUPC) activists protesting
against land acquisition for a proposed chemical hub in
Nandigram in the March 14 firing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon