Some issues before NOTA implementation: Bengal poll panel
Kolkata: Voters in West Bengal will have to wait bit longer to exercise their "None of the Above" (NOTA) option to reject all candidates, as the State Election Commission (SEC) on Tuesday said there were issues to be resolved before the move can be implemented.
"So far as NOTA option is concerned, we are yet to work on it. There are still a few unanswered questions, a few issues to be resolved first. What happens if there are a high percentage of voters exercising NOTA?" said State Election Commissioner Mira Pande.
Participating in a Merchant Chamber of Commerce organised event, Pande said there were also other issues like absence of the NOTA button on Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs), and use of ballot papers in panchayat (rural body) polls.
"We are waiting to see how the system develops. As we don`t have EVMs which have the NOTA buttons, maybe we will have to install them or procure new ones," she said.
With the SEC slated to hold the elections next in November in the state, Pande, however, said the commission was considering adopting the system.
In a historic verdict that will empower the Indian voter, the Supreme Court Sep 27 said that for a vibrant democracy, electors must have the right to reject all the candidates in the fray with the option of "NOTA" in voting machines and on ballot papers.
Voters in the poll-bound states of Delhi, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Mizoram would be the first in the country to avail the NOTA option after Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath said the EVMs will have a slot for NOTA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Meghalaya Board SSLC Results 2016: megresults.nic.in, www.mbose.in; Tura Result 2016, MBOSE Class 10 Examination Result 2016 to be declared today at 10 am
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM