Some TV channels have ganged up with oppn: Mamata
Asansol: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee alleged Friday that some local news channels had ganged up with the opposition to make a hue and cry over rape and violence in the state and reiterated that there was a conspiracy to kill her.
Naming a local media house running a tv news channel and two others critical of her government, Banerjee told a panchayat election rally here, "They are systematically using the Congress, CPI(M) and BJP for propaganda against the government doing good work, for terror, murder and rape."
When her naming the channels caused commotion at the rally, the chief minister, warned, "Don`t lay a finger on them. We will tackle them legally."
Her comments came on a day when a cross section of intellectuals and people hit the streets to protest against the spurt in crimes against women in the state.
Dwelling again on the allegation that a conspiracy was afoot to eliminate her, she said "There is a conspiracy to kill me and party general secretary Mukul Roy. CPI(M), Congress, BJP and Maoists have joined hands."
"CPI(M) should remember that if one Mamata Banerjee is killed lakhs of Mamata Banerjees would be born. I am not cowed by threats. I am not afraid of death, but if I die I will die like a hero. My life is a struggle for justice for 35 years," she said.
Admitting that `one or two` incidents had taken place which were `definitely bad`, the chief minister said "It has to be seen whether the government has taken steps or not. Perpetrators have been arrested within 24 hours. What else do you want? The TMC did not commit rape."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case