Some TV channels have ganged up with oppn: Mamata
Asansol: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee alleged Friday that some local news channels had ganged up with the opposition to make a hue and cry over rape and violence in the state and reiterated that there was a conspiracy to kill her.
Naming a local media house running a tv news channel and two others critical of her government, Banerjee told a panchayat election rally here, "They are systematically using the Congress, CPI(M) and BJP for propaganda against the government doing good work, for terror, murder and rape."
When her naming the channels caused commotion at the rally, the chief minister, warned, "Don`t lay a finger on them. We will tackle them legally."
Her comments came on a day when a cross section of intellectuals and people hit the streets to protest against the spurt in crimes against women in the state.
Dwelling again on the allegation that a conspiracy was afoot to eliminate her, she said "There is a conspiracy to kill me and party general secretary Mukul Roy. CPI(M), Congress, BJP and Maoists have joined hands."
"CPI(M) should remember that if one Mamata Banerjee is killed lakhs of Mamata Banerjees would be born. I am not cowed by threats. I am not afraid of death, but if I die I will die like a hero. My life is a struggle for justice for 35 years," she said.
Admitting that `one or two` incidents had taken place which were `definitely bad`, the chief minister said "It has to be seen whether the government has taken steps or not. Perpetrators have been arrested within 24 hours. What else do you want? The TMC did not commit rape."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon