Somen Mitra rules out returning to Congress
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress MP Somen Mitra on Monday dismissed reports of his return to Congress, saying he was not in the habit of stabbing people in the back.
Sharing dais with state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya at a programme to celebrate the birth anniversary of former chief minister BC Roy at the Congress office here, Mitra trashed reports aired by some TV channels that he might leave TMC in favour of Congress.
"It not my habit to stab someone in the back. If at all I have to go, I will tell Mamata Banerjee," Mitra said.
Mitra`s wife Sikha, a TMC MLA, is, however, a vocal critic of the state`s law and order situation and supports the movement against spurt in violence against women.
Sikha, an MLA from Bowbazar constituency in the city, who was snubbed last year by the TMC for openly criticising the Mamata Banerjee government, supported the Kamduni movement against gang-rape and murder of a college girl last month.
"Sustained protest-movements are required against the recent spurt in rapes and violence against women. I find dirt everywhere. Things have come to such a pass that one has to work under fear," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees