Somen Mitra rules out returning to Congress
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress MP Somen Mitra on Monday dismissed reports of his return to Congress, saying he was not in the habit of stabbing people in the back.
Sharing dais with state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya at a programme to celebrate the birth anniversary of former chief minister BC Roy at the Congress office here, Mitra trashed reports aired by some TV channels that he might leave TMC in favour of Congress.
"It not my habit to stab someone in the back. If at all I have to go, I will tell Mamata Banerjee," Mitra said.
Mitra`s wife Sikha, a TMC MLA, is, however, a vocal critic of the state`s law and order situation and supports the movement against spurt in violence against women.
Sikha, an MLA from Bowbazar constituency in the city, who was snubbed last year by the TMC for openly criticising the Mamata Banerjee government, supported the Kamduni movement against gang-rape and murder of a college girl last month.
"Sustained protest-movements are required against the recent spurt in rapes and violence against women. I find dirt everywhere. Things have come to such a pass that one has to work under fear," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame?
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame? - Part II
- NADA likely to declare verdict on wrestler Narsingh Yadav's doping case on Thursday
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK - Part II
- Chinese soldiers spotted in Uttarakhand's Chamoli; defence ministry says 'no incursion'
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump could win, warns Barack Obama
- Delhi Transport Minister says 17 auto unions end strike; union leader denies
- World at war over money, not religious faith, says Pope
- World Hepatitis Day, 2016: Ten facts you should know!