Somnath agrees to advise WB govt on development
Kolkata: The advice of Somnath Chatterjee was on Tuesday sought by the West Bengal government for the development of the state, with the former Lok Sabha speaker and expelled CPI(M) leader agreeing to do so provided he was not inducted into any committee.
"I met Chatterjee, who is a former chairman of the West Bengal Industrial Development Council, to seek his advice on planning and development of the state. We will give serious thought to any suggestion by him," Industry minister Partha Chatterjee said after meeting the veteran leader at his residence.
"If he thinks that there is any deficiency in our plans, he can give his opinion and advice," the industry minister said.
The former Lok Sabha speaker said that the industry minister had met him at the behest of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
"I agreed to the meeting since I thought that as I had long experience as chairman of the WBDIC if that can be any use for the development of the state, I am willing to help," the former Lok Sabha speaker said.
"But I made it clear to him that I should not be taken in an any committee whatsoever," he said. The chief minister had visited the former Lok Sabha speaker last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters