Somnath Chatterjee suggests changing `captain` of WB CPI(M)
Kolkata: Apparently suggesting a change in the CPI(M) leadership in West Bengal following its latest reverses in the municipal polls, former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee on Wednsday suggested removal of the `captain`.
"At all levels it depends on a leader, captain and the general for success. For example, why is a coach sacked after a team suffers defeat, Perhaps the same is applicable," Chatterjee said on the sidelines of a programme here.
He was replying to a question whether a change in the state CPI(M) leadership was necessary following the electoral debacles.
Chatterjee said that Left oriented politics in the interest of the working class and middle class was getting weakened.
"Those parties which are connected with this politics, I request them to analyse this because the future is more important and not the power," the 84-year-old veteran said.
A day earlier, the ruling Trinamool Congress swept the municipal polls winning eight of the 12 civic bodies.
Chatterjee was expelled by the CPI(M) during the July, 2008 trust vote in the Lok Sabha following his refusal to quit the Speaker`s post in line with the directive of the party with which he was associated for four decades.
The party had hoped that Chatterjee would quit before the confidence vote, but he went ahead and presided over the proceedings of the two-day Special Session.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery