Somnath congratulates Mamata on her party`s victory
Kolkata: Former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath
Chatterjee on Sunday wrote to Trinamool Congress chief Mamata
Banerjee congratulating her on the party`s resounding victory
in the West Bengal Assembly elections.
"I wrote a letter to her congratulating her on her
party`s victory. I have done this out of courtesy," he said.
He said Banerjee had thanked him over telephone for
the letter and had promised to visit him at a convenient time.
In 1984, Banerjee had entered Parliament for the first
time after defeating Chatterjee, the then CPI(M) heavyweight,
in the Jadavpur Lok Sabha constituency.
Chatterjee was expelled from the CPI(M) when he
refused his party`s whip to vote against the government in the
July 2008 vote of confidence in Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!