Somnath likely to address CPI-M election meeting
Siliguri (WB): In a bid to counter
anti-incumbency, the ruling CPI-M in West Bengal is likely to
get expelled party leader Somnath Chatterjee to address an
West Bengal Housing Minister Goutam Deb told reporters
here today that Chatterjee would address a rally on April 24
at Dum Dum constituency near the city.
When contacted, Chatterjee told PTI, "It should be
considered as a personal request only. I have told Deb that if
doctors allow me, I can attend the meet."
He also made it clear that Deb`s invitation should not
be seen as any indication that he was rejoining the CPI-M.
Deb said that efforts were also on to persuade
economist and former state finance minister Ashok Mitra to
address the rally.
Contesting AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi`s
statement today at a rally in north Bengal that there were 80
per cent school dropouts in West Bengal, Deb said reports on
the other hand spoke just the opposite.
"The dropout rate was in fact declining and this was
confirmed by Pratichi trust of economist Amartya Sen."
Deb said his party was keeping a track of Trinamool
Congress chief Mamata Banerjee`s helicopter rides to address
election meetings which, he claimed, went against election
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?