Somnath likely to address CPI-M election meeting
Siliguri (WB): In a bid to counter
anti-incumbency, the ruling CPI-M in West Bengal is likely to
get expelled party leader Somnath Chatterjee to address an
West Bengal Housing Minister Goutam Deb told reporters
here today that Chatterjee would address a rally on April 24
at Dum Dum constituency near the city.
When contacted, Chatterjee told PTI, "It should be
considered as a personal request only. I have told Deb that if
doctors allow me, I can attend the meet."
He also made it clear that Deb`s invitation should not
be seen as any indication that he was rejoining the CPI-M.
Deb said that efforts were also on to persuade
economist and former state finance minister Ashok Mitra to
address the rally.
Contesting AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi`s
statement today at a rally in north Bengal that there were 80
per cent school dropouts in West Bengal, Deb said reports on
the other hand spoke just the opposite.
"The dropout rate was in fact declining and this was
confirmed by Pratichi trust of economist Amartya Sen."
Deb said his party was keeping a track of Trinamool
Congress chief Mamata Banerjee`s helicopter rides to address
election meetings which, he claimed, went against election
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state