Sonada railway station in Darjeeling gutted in fire
Darjeeling: The Sonada railway station on the picturesque Darjeeling Himalayan Railway through which the toy train passes twice day was gutted in a major fire on Monday in Darjeeling district with sabotage being suspected.
The fire originated in the station master`s room at around 2:30 pm and spread rapidly leading a major portion of the railway station to collapse, police sources said.
A couple of houses adjacent to the station, 18 km from here, also collapsed, the sources said.
Five fire tenders were sent to the station and it was now under control, fire brigade sources said.
They said that a short-circuit could have caused the fire.
Police sources said, however, that the fire could be the result of sabotage.
Guwahati-based S Hajing, the PRO of the NF Railway, under which the DHR falls, said that the fire destroyed a major portion of the station.
Asked if sabotage was the cause of the blaze, he replied that he was going for an inspection of the fire ravaged station and would not be able to comment now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users