Sonada railway station in Darjeeling gutted in fire
Darjeeling: The Sonada railway station on the picturesque Darjeeling Himalayan Railway through which the toy train passes twice day was gutted in a major fire on Monday in Darjeeling district with sabotage being suspected.
The fire originated in the station master`s room at around 2:30 pm and spread rapidly leading a major portion of the railway station to collapse, police sources said.
A couple of houses adjacent to the station, 18 km from here, also collapsed, the sources said.
Five fire tenders were sent to the station and it was now under control, fire brigade sources said.
They said that a short-circuit could have caused the fire.
Police sources said, however, that the fire could be the result of sabotage.
Guwahati-based S Hajing, the PRO of the NF Railway, under which the DHR falls, said that the fire destroyed a major portion of the station.
Asked if sabotage was the cause of the blaze, he replied that he was going for an inspection of the fire ravaged station and would not be able to comment now.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed