Sophisticated narcotics scanner at Kolkata airport soon
Kolkata: Alarmed at the rise in attempts
to smuggle out banned drugs, the Narcotics cell of the NSCBI
airport in Kolkata has decided to install a sophisticated narcotics
scanner at the airport.
Airport sources said on Friday that smugglers were found
to be exporting banned drugs out of the airport by various
dubious means in recent past which could not be detected
during routine checking.
"We plan to install a sophisticated narcotics scanner
at the airport during the ongoing modernisation work",
the sources said.
Under the Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances
Act, the Narcotics Control Bureau personnel seized 7.2 kg of
banned drug Ketamyne Hydrochloride, worth Rs 7.2 lakh, while
being smuggled out to Bangkok at the airport, concealed in an
ornament box on September 13, 2009. One was arrested.
NCB sources said that 108.25 kg of Ketamyne Hydrochloride
was seized while being exported to Malayasia inside masala
pouches when five persons, including three foreigners, were
arrested on January 29, 2010.
The sources said that 25 kgs of such banned drug was
seized from two persons, later arrested, while they were
trying to smuggle it out of the airport to Singapore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM