Sophisticated narcotics scanner at Kolkata airport soon
Kolkata: Alarmed at the rise in attempts
to smuggle out banned drugs, the Narcotics cell of the NSCBI
airport in Kolkata has decided to install a sophisticated narcotics
scanner at the airport.
Airport sources said on Friday that smugglers were found
to be exporting banned drugs out of the airport by various
dubious means in recent past which could not be detected
during routine checking.
"We plan to install a sophisticated narcotics scanner
at the airport during the ongoing modernisation work",
the sources said.
Under the Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances
Act, the Narcotics Control Bureau personnel seized 7.2 kg of
banned drug Ketamyne Hydrochloride, worth Rs 7.2 lakh, while
being smuggled out to Bangkok at the airport, concealed in an
ornament box on September 13, 2009. One was arrested.
NCB sources said that 108.25 kg of Ketamyne Hydrochloride
was seized while being exported to Malayasia inside masala
pouches when five persons, including three foreigners, were
arrested on January 29, 2010.
The sources said that 25 kgs of such banned drug was
seized from two persons, later arrested, while they were
trying to smuggle it out of the airport to Singapore.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata