Sourav murder: `TMC supporter` who helped Shyamal, arrested
Kolkata: Sishir Mukherjee, an alleged Trinamool Congress supporter, who had given shelter to Shyamal Karmakar, the prime suspect in the murder of anti-hooch crusader Sourav Chowdhury, was arrested from Sealdah Station area here on Monday, police said.
"We have arrested Sishir Mukherjee today from Sealdah," Additional SP Bhashkar Mukherjee said.
With today`s arrest, 12 persons in total, have been arrested so far in connection with the July 4 murder.
Sishir, according to police sources, who once lived in Bamangachhi, had given Shyamal shelter in his Beliaghata house on July 5 and had also accompanied him to Tarapith in Birbhum. There he had booked a room for Shyamal producing a photocopy of his voter ID card, they said.
Police sources also revealed that after prolonged interrogation of Shyamal, Sishir`s role in helping him get hideouts was revealed.
Sourav`s severed body was found between Bamangachhi and Duttapukur railway stations on July 5 morning. The 21-year-old student was kidnapped by a gang from near his house the previous night.
It was being alleged that Sourav was killed as he had started a drive against hooch dens run by Shyamal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje