SP WB unit merges with Trinamool, MLA too switches side
Kolkata: Chand Mohammad, the lone legislator of Samajwadi Party, a constituent of West Bengal`s opposition Left Front, on Friday joined Trinamool Congress after merging the state unit with TMC.
"Chand Mohammad who belongs to the original SP unit in the state, joined TMC and merged the party with TMC along with his followers", TMC general secretary Mukul Roy told a press conference here.
He said Chand Mohammad`s joining would be helpful in strengthening the party in Congress bastion Murshidabad district where TMC is relatively weak.
Chand Mohammad is a two-time SP MLA from Bhagabangola constituency in Murshidabad district.
Chand Mohammad created a flutter in the Left ranks on Wednesday by attending the special session in connection with the platinum jubilee celebrations of the state assembly which was collectively boycotted by Left Front constituents and Chand had signed in a memorandum in this regard.
Opposition leader Suryakanta Mishra of the CPI(M) said they would "think twice" before letting him Mohammad "sign memoranda" in future, while West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee praised him for attending the session.
Chand Mohammad joined TMC a day after many leaders of Forward Bloc joined the ruling party in Jalpaiguri district, a stronghold of the Left Front constituent.
Three Congress MLAs had earlier switched over to the ruling party in the past one year.
Several councillors of Congress in different municipalities and also from the Left had in the recent past joined TMC close on the heels of the ruling party sweeping the panchayat polls and also subsequently winning the civic elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city