Special Calcutta HC bench to take up Netaji case
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Thursday ordered constitution of a special bench to take up a petition demanding declassification of secret documents on the mystery surrounding the disappearance of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
Hearing the PIL filed by Kolkata-based NGO India`s Smile, Chief Justice Arun Mishra said the special division bench would be constituted by acting Chief Justice Asim Banerjee to look into the matter.
Justice Joymalya Bagchi, who was part of the division bench which heard the case today, said since he was involved in the Mukherjee Commission which had investigated into the case once, he would not take up the matter.
The Union of India, National Advisory Council, RAW, Intelligence Bureau, private secretary to the Prime Minister, Defence Secretary, Home Affairs department and West Bengal government among others have been made respondents in the case.
The petition demands declassification of all documents, including top-secret files, relating to Netaji so that the mystery surrounding his disappearance could be solved.
The Prime Minister`s Office had earlier refused to furnish data on documents and records it held on Netaji`s disappearance, saying the disclosure would harm India`s relation with foreign countries.
The petition demands a judicial review on whether the documents should remain secret in public interest. Appearing on behalf of researcher Anuj Dhar, who has written three books on the Netaji mystery, advocate Taj Mohammad submitted all secret documents he claims he had in his possession which could throw light on the case.
When under house arrest by the British colonial administration, Netaji had escaped from India in 1941 to seek international support for freedom struggle. After organising the Indian National Army with Japanese help he went missing in 1945.
He was last seen at the Bangkok Airport on August 17 1945. The Mukherjee Commission had rejected the opinion that he died in a plane crash in Taiwan on August 18, 1945.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why