Special prayers to mark Mother Teresa`s birth centenary
Kolkata: Special prayers were held at the headquarters of the Missionaries of Charity here on Sunday on the occasion of the 103rd birth anniversary of Mother Teresa.
A mass was held to celebrate the birth anniversary, where nuns from the missionary and other followers of Mother congregated.
Superior General of Missionaries of Charity, Sister Prema, said everyone prayed and remembered Mother Teresa for her teaching and sought her continual blessings.
"Today, on the August 26, it is the birthday of Mother Teresa. 103 years ago God gave Mother Teresa to the world that the world may know that they are loved and that they are children of God, brothers and sisters of each other. In 1997, 15 years ago God took her from us and we seek her continual blessings in the work and also in the people who are drawn to God through Mother, to see Mother`s works and the work which continues," said Sister Prema.
Sister Prema said that we should follow the teachings of Mother and spread the message of love and compassion.
"In today`s world, Mother, as she did during her life, teaches us that we love one another, especially those in our own families, that we want everyone whom God puts with us, specially the children. Those children who are not yet born and they need the protection of the family that we allow them to be born and grow into human beings full of love for God," said Sister Prema.
Mother Teresa, died on September 5, 1997 at the age of 87, and was known for her extraordinary love and dedication to poor, homeless and diseased people.
She came to India in 1929 at the age of 18 and took up teaching, and became an Indian citizen in 1948.
Mother Teresa received several national and international awards for social service during her lifetime.
They included the Bharat Ratna, the Magsaysay Award in 1962, the Pope John XXIII Peace Prize in 1971, the John F Kennedy International Award in 1971 and the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata