Special prayers to mark Mother Teresa`s birth centenary
Kolkata: Special prayers were held at the headquarters of the Missionaries of Charity here on Sunday on the occasion of the 103rd birth anniversary of Mother Teresa.
A mass was held to celebrate the birth anniversary, where nuns from the missionary and other followers of Mother congregated.
Superior General of Missionaries of Charity, Sister Prema, said everyone prayed and remembered Mother Teresa for her teaching and sought her continual blessings.
"Today, on the August 26, it is the birthday of Mother Teresa. 103 years ago God gave Mother Teresa to the world that the world may know that they are loved and that they are children of God, brothers and sisters of each other. In 1997, 15 years ago God took her from us and we seek her continual blessings in the work and also in the people who are drawn to God through Mother, to see Mother`s works and the work which continues," said Sister Prema.
Sister Prema said that we should follow the teachings of Mother and spread the message of love and compassion.
"In today`s world, Mother, as she did during her life, teaches us that we love one another, especially those in our own families, that we want everyone whom God puts with us, specially the children. Those children who are not yet born and they need the protection of the family that we allow them to be born and grow into human beings full of love for God," said Sister Prema.
Mother Teresa, died on September 5, 1997 at the age of 87, and was known for her extraordinary love and dedication to poor, homeless and diseased people.
She came to India in 1929 at the age of 18 and took up teaching, and became an Indian citizen in 1948.
Mother Teresa received several national and international awards for social service during her lifetime.
They included the Bharat Ratna, the Magsaysay Award in 1962, the Pope John XXIII Peace Prize in 1971, the John F Kennedy International Award in 1971 and the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA