Sports fraternity condoles cricket-lover Basu`s death
Kolkata: The sports fraternity across Bengal
condoled the death of Marxist patriarch and former Chief
Minister Jyoti Basu.
Describing the nonagenarian as an ardent lover of sport
and a pillar of strength for state cricket, CAB president
Jagmohan Dalmiya said, "That he was an outstanding political
personality of our time is well known. But not many know that
Jyoti Babu was an ardent cricket lover."
"It is a personal loss for me. He had been a pillar of
strength for Cricket Association of Bengal over the years. We
are indebted to him for his continuous encouragement and
support. May his soul rest in peace," Dalmiya said.
Indian football great P K Banerjee said Basu was a father
figure for him and the leader was always keen on development
of sport in the state and country.
"It is a very sad day. He was popular not only in India
but all over the world. He was always keen on development of
sport. His contribution to the sport is immense," the former
Olympian and Indian football captain said.
"I have had the chance to meet him on many occasions and
every time he would ask me ways to develop sport. He was very
affectionate towards me," Banerjee said.
All India Football Federation (AIFF) Vice-President,
Subrata Dutta, described Basu as a great statesman, admirable
administrator and above all, a great lover of sports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie