SSB helpline to curb trans-border smuggling
Kolkata: With a view to curb trans-border smuggling of vehicles, arms and drugs, Sashastra Seema Bal has introduced a helpline number to alert it about any suspicious movement along a section of the Indo-Nepal border.
The helpline has been introduced by SSB, which guards Indian borders with Nepal and Bhutan, under its Siliguri frontier comprising states of West Bengal, Sikkim and Bihar.
"There are instances of vehicle smuggling in these areas and as a border guarding force we can always help civilians and local police in intercepting any suspect vehicle that wants to cross the border clandestinely," SSB Inspector General (Siliguri Frontier) Avinash Chandra told a news agency.
"All one needs to do is to call our frontier headquarters control room at 0353-2585904 with the details of the stolen vehicle and we will flash the message across all our border posts in these three states," he said.
Once intercepted, the local police will be informed, Chandra, who has mooted the initiative along the 600 km of the border under his command, said.
Patrol parties would also be relayed these messages so that they can intercept such vehicles, he said.
The Indo-Nepal border is not only notorious for the smuggling of stolen vehicles but also for narcotics and arms and the SSB is mandated to curb and stop these incidents and it is also the lead intelligence gathering organisation for this area.
At times, according to security sources, smugglers fake registration papers of stolen vehicles like trucks, cars and motorcycles to pass them through the authorised routes of crossing over to the other side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack