SSB helpline to curb trans-border smuggling
Kolkata: With a view to curb trans-border smuggling of vehicles, arms and drugs, Sashastra Seema Bal has introduced a helpline number to alert it about any suspicious movement along a section of the Indo-Nepal border.
The helpline has been introduced by SSB, which guards Indian borders with Nepal and Bhutan, under its Siliguri frontier comprising states of West Bengal, Sikkim and Bihar.
"There are instances of vehicle smuggling in these areas and as a border guarding force we can always help civilians and local police in intercepting any suspect vehicle that wants to cross the border clandestinely," SSB Inspector General (Siliguri Frontier) Avinash Chandra told a news agency.
"All one needs to do is to call our frontier headquarters control room at 0353-2585904 with the details of the stolen vehicle and we will flash the message across all our border posts in these three states," he said.
Once intercepted, the local police will be informed, Chandra, who has mooted the initiative along the 600 km of the border under his command, said.
Patrol parties would also be relayed these messages so that they can intercept such vehicles, he said.
The Indo-Nepal border is not only notorious for the smuggling of stolen vehicles but also for narcotics and arms and the SSB is mandated to curb and stop these incidents and it is also the lead intelligence gathering organisation for this area.
At times, according to security sources, smugglers fake registration papers of stolen vehicles like trucks, cars and motorcycles to pass them through the authorised routes of crossing over to the other side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog