State responsible for panchayat poll in Ramzan
Kolkata: The Left Front on Monday accused the West Bengal government of being solely responsible for pancahayat poll dates coinciding with the Muslim fasting month of Ramzan.
Left Front chairman Biman Bose said Trinamool Congress regime had earlier opposed the date of July 10, when Rathayatra is celebrated, and July 21, when TMC observes Shahid Divas, resulting in delay in fixing of poll dates.
The two dates were reversed, but at that time TMC did not raise the matter of Ramzan month, Bose pointed out.
"So those two dates were reversed. Why didn`t they raise the matter of Ramzan month then?" he asked.
The government said it would file a review petition in the Supreme Court praying for rescheduling of dates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'