State responsible for panchayat poll in Ramzan
Kolkata: The Left Front on Monday accused the West Bengal government of being solely responsible for pancahayat poll dates coinciding with the Muslim fasting month of Ramzan.
Left Front chairman Biman Bose said Trinamool Congress regime had earlier opposed the date of July 10, when Rathayatra is celebrated, and July 21, when TMC observes Shahid Divas, resulting in delay in fixing of poll dates.
The two dates were reversed, but at that time TMC did not raise the matter of Ramzan month, Bose pointed out.
"So those two dates were reversed. Why didn`t they raise the matter of Ramzan month then?" he asked.
The government said it would file a review petition in the Supreme Court praying for rescheduling of dates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users