Statue of Gorkha soldier removed in Darjeeling
Darjeeling: The statue of a Gorkha soldier at Gorkha Ranga Mancha Bhawan installed there in 1988 and which was a tourist attraction has been removed by the administration.
GNLF supporters put up posters at different places in Kurseong town Wednesday, but later some were removed and torn allegedly by GJM members.
Dubbing it a humiliation for Gorkhas, GNLF leader Moni Moktan questioned how GJM chief Bimal Gurung, who claimed to be a guardian of the community, remove the statue which was an honour for Gorkhas.
GJM leader Binay Tamang, however, said that the statue would be put up in a museum which was being constructed and the issue should not be politicised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state