Statue of Gorkha soldier removed in Darjeeling
Darjeeling: The statue of a Gorkha soldier at Gorkha Ranga Mancha Bhawan installed there in 1988 and which was a tourist attraction has been removed by the administration.
GNLF supporters put up posters at different places in Kurseong town Wednesday, but later some were removed and torn allegedly by GJM members.
Dubbing it a humiliation for Gorkhas, GNLF leader Moni Moktan questioned how GJM chief Bimal Gurung, who claimed to be a guardian of the community, remove the statue which was an honour for Gorkhas.
GJM leader Binay Tamang, however, said that the statue would be put up in a museum which was being constructed and the issue should not be politicised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda