Statue of Gorkha soldier removed in Darjeeling
Darjeeling: The statue of a Gorkha soldier at Gorkha Ranga Mancha Bhawan installed there in 1988 and which was a tourist attraction has been removed by the administration.
GNLF supporters put up posters at different places in Kurseong town Wednesday, but later some were removed and torn allegedly by GJM members.
Dubbing it a humiliation for Gorkhas, GNLF leader Moni Moktan questioned how GJM chief Bimal Gurung, who claimed to be a guardian of the community, remove the statue which was an honour for Gorkhas.
GJM leader Binay Tamang, however, said that the statue would be put up in a museum which was being constructed and the issue should not be politicised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video