Statue of Gorkha soldier removed in Darjeeling
Darjeeling: The statue of a Gorkha soldier at Gorkha Ranga Mancha Bhawan installed there in 1988 and which was a tourist attraction has been removed by the administration.
GNLF supporters put up posters at different places in Kurseong town Wednesday, but later some were removed and torn allegedly by GJM members.
Dubbing it a humiliation for Gorkhas, GNLF leader Moni Moktan questioned how GJM chief Bimal Gurung, who claimed to be a guardian of the community, remove the statue which was an honour for Gorkhas.
GJM leader Binay Tamang, however, said that the statue would be put up in a museum which was being constructed and the issue should not be politicised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress