Steady stream of visitors visits Mamata
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress chief Mamata
Banerjee, poised to take over as West Bengal`s first woman
chief minister following her party`s landslide victory in the
assembly polls, on Saturday received a steady stream of visitors at
her Kalighat resident here.
Banerjee, known to be a late riser, began her day early
as a large number of people gathered outside her humble
residence for a glimpse of the woman who single-handedly
brought the Left Front to its knees in the elections.
As the day advanced, the crowd swelled behind the
security barricade erected in front of her residence and broke
into loud cheers as soon as Banerjee appeared outside.
The people almost fell over each other in their
eagerness to touch the leader as she walked to the barricade
with Mayor Sovan Chatterjee. Banerjee shook hands and
distributed signed photographs.
Microphone in hand, Banerjee took the opportunity to
introduce to the people a number of newly-elected MLAs,
including some from Maoist-hit Junglemahals, who came calling
on her. She advised the MLAs to work for the people.
Veteran film actress Sandhya Roy, director Haranath
Chakraborty and painter Samir Aich also called on Banerjee to
congratulate her on her party`s victory.
``The people of Bengal wanted Didi to bring about a
change. Now that the change has come, I`m sure that good days
are ahead,`` Aich said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- 'NSG applications of Pakistan, India should be considered together'
- Jung, Meena will be summoned over Sheila govt 'scams': Dy Speaker
- CBI files fresh chargesheet against two in Vyapam cases
- ED officer loses annual increments for harassing woman
- Finally! Ringing Bells ready with two lakh Freedom 251 phones: Mohit Goel