Stephen Court fire accused granted interim bail
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Monday granted interim bail to Sanjay Bagaria, main accused in the devastating fire that ravaged the 150-year-old Stephen Court claiming 43 lives in March this year.
A division bench comprising Justice Indira Banerjee and Justice M K Chowdhury granted the bail prayer of Bagaria, director of Stephen Court Ltd, till November nine. The matter would come up for hearing on the same day.
August 24. Bagaria and others of the company have been charged with culpable homicide in connection with the death of 43 people when a devastating blaze swept through the top three floors of the multi-storeyed building housing residences, offices and restaurants on upscale Park Street on March 23.
It was alleged that a callous response from the accused, including the three directors of the company, led to the people being trapped inside the building on fire that started
during office hours.
It was also claimed that fire safety rules had been violated at the building by the company, which is responsible for its upkeep, despite being a rich firm with cash reserves
of Rs 1.54 crore.
The police had filed a chargesheet against six persons including three directors -- Sanjay Bagaria, Sushil Surekha and Pradip More. Tarun Bagaria (caretaker), Ram Shankar Singh (pump operator) and Joy Prakash Singh (lift man) were arrested on March 23.
While Sanjoy Bagaria was arrested on August 25, Surekha and Pradip More surrendered before the Metropolitan court on September 17 and October one respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured