Stephen Court fire accused granted interim bail
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Monday granted interim bail to Sanjay Bagaria, main accused in the devastating fire that ravaged the 150-year-old Stephen Court claiming 43 lives in March this year.
A division bench comprising Justice Indira Banerjee and Justice M K Chowdhury granted the bail prayer of Bagaria, director of Stephen Court Ltd, till November nine. The matter would come up for hearing on the same day.
August 24. Bagaria and others of the company have been charged with culpable homicide in connection with the death of 43 people when a devastating blaze swept through the top three floors of the multi-storeyed building housing residences, offices and restaurants on upscale Park Street on March 23.
It was alleged that a callous response from the accused, including the three directors of the company, led to the people being trapped inside the building on fire that started
during office hours.
It was also claimed that fire safety rules had been violated at the building by the company, which is responsible for its upkeep, despite being a rich firm with cash reserves
of Rs 1.54 crore.
The police had filed a chargesheet against six persons including three directors -- Sanjay Bagaria, Sushil Surekha and Pradip More. Tarun Bagaria (caretaker), Ram Shankar Singh (pump operator) and Joy Prakash Singh (lift man) were arrested on March 23.
While Sanjoy Bagaria was arrested on August 25, Surekha and Pradip More surrendered before the Metropolitan court on September 17 and October one respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself