Stones thrown at TMC convoy in Darjeeling
Kolkata: Miscreants threw stones at cars in a Trinamool Congress convoy for party Lok Sabha candidate former Indian football team captain Bhaichung Bhutia at Patlebas in Darjeeling district on Saturday.
"We are investigating," Darjeeling Superintendent of Police Kunal Agarwal told.
TMC leader and the North Bengal Development minister Gautam Deb claimed that four TMC workers were injured in the stone-throwing.
He alleged that stones were thrown by GJM workers damaging three cars near the residence of their chief Bimal Gurung while party workers were going in cars to attend a meeting in support of Bhutia.
"GJM is losing ground in Darjeeling hill areas and the attack was out of desperation," he told reporters.
When contacted, GJM general secretary, Roshan Giri told PTI from Darjeeling, "They (stone-pelters) are not our people, but they (TMC) are trying to blame us."
The GJM is supporting senior BJP leader S S Ahluwalia from the seat.
In the 2009 Lok Sabha polls the GJM had supported senior BJP leader Jaswant Singh who emerged as the winner from the seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says