Strict vigil in Kolkata before Durga Puja
Kolkata: The police have tightened security in West Bengal, particularly in border areas, for peaceful celebration of Durga puja, the biggest festival of the state. In the metropolis, hundreds of CCTV cameras have been installed and policemen in plainclothes have been deployed to keep a close watch.
"We have wrapped up the city with security cover so that no untoward incident takes place. There is close coordination between all police stations under Kolkata police and the headquarters. More policemen have been deployed on the streets," Kolkata police commissioner Surojit Kar Purakayastha said.
Asked whether the Kolkata police has taken any special measure to avoid communal tension here in the backdrop of the Muzzafarnagar riots in Uttar Pradesh, Purakaystha said, "We are keeping a close watch on each and every incident. Although so far we don`t have any such report."
Security has been tightened in all border districts and Intelligence Branch personnel are keeping a round the clock watch. "Vigil has been increased in the bordering areas of the state to keep a tab on any kind of suspicious movement," said a senior police official of West Bengal Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations