Strike forced on people by WB govt: Trinamool
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress today said the
industrial strike by trade unions was forced on the people of
West Bengal through "government backing and CPI-M muscle
"This is a politically motivated bandh forced on the
people only to harass the working class and daily wage
earners," Leader of the Opposition in West Bengal Assembly and
TC leader Partha Chatterjee told reporters here.
Claiming that people had rejected the strike, he said
three strikes on July 27, August 5 and today had been called
on the same issue of price rise.
Today`s bandh was marred by violence by the ruling CPI-M,
he said and added that a TC activist was killed by CPI-M
supporters at Nanoor in Birbhum district.
Besides, factory workers who had gone to report for work
in several parts of the state had been driven out by "CPI-M
goons", he said.
Left trade unions and INTUC had called the 24-hour
industrial strike against price rise and other issues. It
took the form of a general strike in the state with the Left
parties supporting the trade unions. The strike was opposed by
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another