Student from Britain ragged in Bengal, two held
Kolkata: Two senior students of a hotel management institute in Kolkata were arrested Tuesday following a complaint of ragging by a student from Britain, police said.
Ricky Das, a first year student of International Institute of Hotel Management at Salt Lake on the outskirts of the city, Thursday filed a complaint with the Electronic Complex police station alleging ragging by five of his seniors.
"We today (Tuesday) arrested two of the students named in the complaint. The rest are absconding but we are hopeful of apprehending them soon," said a police official.
Das, whose mother resides in Birmingham in Britain, took admission in the hotel management institute about three months ago. He alleged that he was repeatedly harassed both physically and mentally by his seniors.
He also alleged that he sustained injuries on his head and received treatment at a private nursing home.
Several premier educational institutions in West Bengal have been in the news in the recent past for incidents of ragging.
While five students of the Bengal Engineering Science University in Howrah were expelled for being involved in ragging, two students of the city`s Jadavpur University met a similar fate a few months ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt