Student stabbed during college union election in WB
Burdwan: In continuing student violence in West Bengal, a student of Shyamsundar College at Raina in Burdwan district was stabbed and seriously injured Thursday on his way to participate in the students` union election.
The police said Saikat Nigel, a third year BA student and
president of Trinamool Congress in Raina-I block, was stabbed
in the stomach, injuring him seriously. He was rushed to
Burdwan Medical College and Hospital where his condition was
stated to be critical.
Local Trinamool Congress leader Niyamul Haque alleged the
attack on Nigel was carried out by CPI-M goons with the help
of local police.
However, SFI`s Burdwan district president Arindam
Chakraborty ruled out involvement of their members and alleged
it was the handiwork of local anti-social elements.
The students` union poll is being held amidst tight
security in six colleges in Burdwan district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport