Student union elections to resume in Bengal soon
Kolkata: The elections to the student unions of colleges and universities in West Bengal, which were suspended following the murder of a policeman during filing of nomination papers outside a city college, would resume by October, state’s Higher Education Minister Bratya Basu told the state Assembly on Monday.
Replying to a question in the House, Basu said that the state government was preparing a revised set of rules for conducting student union elections to reduce incidents of violence.
Basu said that the new set of rules for holding student elections would be published in a month.
The elections were suspended for a few months in the month of February because of the rural polls and a number of board and university examinations, the minister said.
Replying to a supplementary question, Basu said that the government had recently announced setting up of three new universities in the State.
While work of Panchanan Barma University in the State`s Cooch Behar district and Kazi Nazrul Islam University at Asansol in Bardhaman district would start in a month, the academic activities of the State`s first women`s University at Diamond Harbour in South 24-Parganas district would start by July next year, he said.
Referring to a regulation issued by the University Grants Commission, Basu said that the State government has started assessing performance of teachers in higher educational institutes through an academic performance indicator.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid