Sudipta Sen, son taken in judicial custody in ED cases
Kolkata: A city court on Thursday remanded multi-crore chit fund scam accused Sudipta Sen and his son Subhojit Sen to 14 days` judicial custody in connection with money laundering cases lodged by the Enforcement Directorate.
Judge B N Bhaduri of City Sessions Court here, after hearing lawyers of both the accused and the ED, granted judicial custody of Sudipta and Subhojit till June 12.
Appearing for Subhojit, counsel Naresh Bhalotia prayed for his bail claiming that his name was not in the charge-sheet filed by the ED in connection with the six cases of money laundering.
He also claimed that Subhojit had been in custody for 44 days, but the ED was not questioning him in jail and as such he be enlarged on bail.
ED lawyers Rajib Mukherjee and Abhijit Bhadra opposed the bail prayer and submitted that with a lot of investigation pending, a bail to the accused at this juncture would be harmful to the cases.
Sudipta Sen, Saradha Group chief, however, did not pray for bail in the cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal