Sunday morning services of Kolkata Metro launched
Kolkata: City metro riders were presented a Christmas gift in advance with the introduction of Sunday morning services.
The services would start from 10 AM every Sunday with a gap of 30 minutes between trains till 2 PM and thereafter normal services would kick in, Union Minister of State for Railways Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury said today after flagging off the first train.
"This has been done in accordance with long-pending demands of Metro passengers and considering the speed of modern life," the minister said.
Chowdhury also inaugurated Mobile Train Radio Communication technology for better communication between motormen and controllers.
"The Metro will also get the much-awaited Global System for Mobile Communications - Railways (GSM-R) that promises safer train-running," the minister said.
The technology would help commuters get mobile phone access when trains remain inside the tunnel, he said.
Railway sources said the GSM-R technology, provided by Nokia-Siemens Network, would improve safety and reliability of the Metro, besides reducing its operating cost.
"The technology is already in operation along 3,500 km of Indian Railways across four zones," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video