Susanta Ghosh`s bail plea rejected
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Thursday
rejected the bail prayer of former minister and CPI-M MLA
Susanta Ghosh in connection with the skeleton case.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice J N Patel and
Justice A K Roy rejected the plea of Ghosh, who is in custody
since August 11.
The prosecution claimed there was sufficient evidence
provided by the CID on Ghosh`s complicity in the murder of
Ajay Acharya, whose son filed the FIR following discovery of
his skeleton from a pit.
Seven skeletons were dug out from a pit in a field near
Ghosh`s ancestral house at Benachapra in West Midnapore
district. DNA tests proved that one of the skeletons was that
of Acharya. In the FIR, Shyamal named Ghosh as one of the key
He alleged that his father had been murdered along with
the other six, all Trinamool Congress supporters, in September
2002 and their bodies were buried.
Public prosecutor Debasish Roy submitted that if bailed
out, Ghosh would try to influence witnesses and this would
hamper the trial. He stated that as the charge sheet has
already been filed and trial was about to commence, bail
should not be granted at this stage.
Appearing for Ghosh, his counsel Balai Roy submitted
that it was a politically-motivated case and was filed after a
change in the government. He said that the MLA`s absence from
his constituency was hampering development work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video