Sushanta Ghosh beaten up with shoe near court
Medinipur (WB): CPI(M) MLA Sushanta Ghosh,
facing trial in connection with the recovery of skeletons near
his ancestral house at Benachapra, was injured when a man
beat him up with a shoe at a local court here on Tuesday.
Police said the man ran towards him from a slogan
shouting crowd near the court and beat up Ghosh with a shoe
when the Garbeta MLA reported to the Fourth Additional Session
Judge Avijit Som to meet the bail condition set by the Supreme
Police failed to catch the man who fled after the
The former minister was granted conditional bail by the
Supreme Court on February 3 last. Report to the local court
before entering his assembly constituency was among the
conditions laid down by the apex court.
A total of 58 persons were made accused in the case,
but 20 persons have so far been arrested. Property of the
all absconding accused were seized.
All the accused were charged with abduction, murder,
criminal intimidation, tampering of evidence and possession of
illegal arms among others.
Five skeletons were dug up from a pit near Ghosh`s
ancestral house at Benachapra village under Garbeta assembly
constituency in West Midnapore district in June last. Ghosh
was arrested by CID on August 11 and the chargesheet was filed
on September 23.
According to the chargesheet, five Trinamool Congress
workers were killed by the accused on September 22, 2002 at
Piyasala village and buried at Benachapra.
DNA tests confirmed two skeletons of two missing
Trinamool Congress workers Ajay Acharya and Swapan Singh alias
Raju. No DNA test could be conducted on other skeletons
because of degeneration of bone marrow, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!