Suspended TMC leader Kunal Ghosh gets bail in first scam case
Kolkata: Suspended Trinamool Congress MP Kunal Ghosh, who was arrested on November 23 in connection with the Saradha Group chit fund scam, was on Friday granted bail in the first among several cases lodged against him.
The case relates to a complaint filed by the general manager of `Broadcast Worldwide` company at the Electronic Complex police station in the city against Ghosh, following which the journalist-turned politician was arrested by the Bidhannagar Police, Deputy Commissioner of the Detective Department, Bidhannagar Police, Arnab Ghosh, said.
Since Kunal Ghosh, the CEO of Saradha Group`s media arm, was under the custody of Barasat police station, he could not be produced before the Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate`s Court in Bidhannagar today.
The court, however, has extended the date of his statement under Section 164 before the magistrate till December 27.
The Bidhannagar police, which was investigating into the case, however, filed chargesheets against Ghosh under four sections of the IPC during the day, Arnab Ghosh said.
Kunal Ghosh was charged under Sections 420 (cheating), 406 (criminal breach of trust), 409 (criminal breach of trust by public servant, or by banker, merchant or agent) and 120B (conspiracy) of the IPC, he said. "The evidence we have got indicates that Kunal Ghosh was involved in the conspiracy along with Saradha Group chairman Sudipta Sen and others," the DC(DD) said.
"There is involvement and fresh evidence has been found against him," he said. "There are also complaints of not paying salaries to employees of the media organisations run by the group," he said.
"Ghosh`s involvement has been found beyond the portfolio (Group CEO of Saradha Media) he held," the DC(DD) said, indicating his alleged involvement in the over Rs 2,300 crore ponzi scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview