Suspended TMC leader Kunal Ghosh gets bail in first scam case
Kolkata: Suspended Trinamool Congress MP Kunal Ghosh, who was arrested on November 23 in connection with the Saradha Group chit fund scam, was on Friday granted bail in the first among several cases lodged against him.
The case relates to a complaint filed by the general manager of `Broadcast Worldwide` company at the Electronic Complex police station in the city against Ghosh, following which the journalist-turned politician was arrested by the Bidhannagar Police, Deputy Commissioner of the Detective Department, Bidhannagar Police, Arnab Ghosh, said.
Since Kunal Ghosh, the CEO of Saradha Group`s media arm, was under the custody of Barasat police station, he could not be produced before the Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate`s Court in Bidhannagar today.
The court, however, has extended the date of his statement under Section 164 before the magistrate till December 27.
The Bidhannagar police, which was investigating into the case, however, filed chargesheets against Ghosh under four sections of the IPC during the day, Arnab Ghosh said.
Kunal Ghosh was charged under Sections 420 (cheating), 406 (criminal breach of trust), 409 (criminal breach of trust by public servant, or by banker, merchant or agent) and 120B (conspiracy) of the IPC, he said. "The evidence we have got indicates that Kunal Ghosh was involved in the conspiracy along with Saradha Group chairman Sudipta Sen and others," the DC(DD) said.
"There is involvement and fresh evidence has been found against him," he said. "There are also complaints of not paying salaries to employees of the media organisations run by the group," he said.
"Ghosh`s involvement has been found beyond the portfolio (Group CEO of Saradha Media) he held," the DC(DD) said, indicating his alleged involvement in the over Rs 2,300 crore ponzi scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!