Tagore a great soul of India: Pranab
New Delhi: Describing Rabindranath Tagore as
a "great soul of India", Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee Monday paid rich tributes to the Nobel Laureate saying he
shunned the politics of nationalism and pitched for attaining
Mukherjee said Tagore was "spiritually" close to Mahatma
Gandhi and both became "unpopular" when they opposed extremism
in the world.
Addressing an international conference on `Tagore`s
Vision of the Contemporary World` organised by the ICCR here,
the Minister extensively quoted from Tagore`s literary works
to communicate the great poet`s message of peace and love to
"Tagore`s works and views are as relevant in today`s
world as was when they were articulated. The phenomenal
quality and quantity of works by the great poet gives an
opportunity for people in different parts of the world to
appreciate his life, work and his contributions to humanity,"
The conference is part of the Government`s celebrations
to commemorate the 150th birth anniversary celebrations of
Tagore, one of the greatest poets of the 20th century.
Mukherjee said Tagore has "something to say to everyone
of us" irrespective of their age and social context.
"Tagore stood for shunning the politics of nationalism
which violates an individual`s inherent mode with each other
by generating hatred between nations and by locking each other
in a separate geographical cage. This nation (India) was the
basis of his most celebrated novel," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in