Tagore remembered on 70th death anniversary
Kolkata: The 70th death anniversary of Nobel
laureate Rabindranath Tagore was observed with children from
various schools participating in processions in many parts of
the metropolis braving heavy rains.
School children took out processions singing Tagore`s
songs to mark his death anniversary as also his
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee led one procession of
school children from Harish Park near her Kalighat residence
and joined in singing `Aguner Parashmani`.
Finance minister Amit Mitra, Commerce and Industry
minister Partha Chatterjee, Education minister Bratya Basu,
Sudip Bandopadhyay, MP and Trinamool Congress legislator and
actor Debashree Roy took part in other processions that were
A programme `Kavi pronam` (tribute to the poet) was held
at Jorasanko which saw a steady stream of visitors.
Another programme was organised at Nimtala crematorium by
Kolkata Municipal Corporation.
Officials said the schools under the West Bengal Board of
Secondary Education would be closed tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan