Tagore remembered on 70th death anniversary
Kolkata: The 70th death anniversary of Nobel
laureate Rabindranath Tagore was observed with children from
various schools participating in processions in many parts of
the metropolis braving heavy rains.
School children took out processions singing Tagore`s
songs to mark his death anniversary as also his
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee led one procession of
school children from Harish Park near her Kalighat residence
and joined in singing `Aguner Parashmani`.
Finance minister Amit Mitra, Commerce and Industry
minister Partha Chatterjee, Education minister Bratya Basu,
Sudip Bandopadhyay, MP and Trinamool Congress legislator and
actor Debashree Roy took part in other processions that were
A programme `Kavi pronam` (tribute to the poet) was held
at Jorasanko which saw a steady stream of visitors.
Another programme was organised at Nimtala crematorium by
Kolkata Municipal Corporation.
Officials said the schools under the West Bengal Board of
Secondary Education would be closed tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Guess which state has max urban net subscribers; Maha, Delhi tied in 2nd spot
- IOC in talks to buy GSPC's stake in Mundra LNG terminal
- UK vote to leave EU `adds to uncertainty` in global economy: G20
- Finance Ministry allots Rs 2,000 cr extra budgetary grant for Chardham
- China builds massive seaplane: State media