Tagore remembered on 70th death anniversary
Kolkata: The 70th death anniversary of Nobel
laureate Rabindranath Tagore was observed with children from
various schools participating in processions in many parts of
the metropolis braving heavy rains.
School children took out processions singing Tagore`s
songs to mark his death anniversary as also his
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee led one procession of
school children from Harish Park near her Kalighat residence
and joined in singing `Aguner Parashmani`.
Finance minister Amit Mitra, Commerce and Industry
minister Partha Chatterjee, Education minister Bratya Basu,
Sudip Bandopadhyay, MP and Trinamool Congress legislator and
actor Debashree Roy took part in other processions that were
A programme `Kavi pronam` (tribute to the poet) was held
at Jorasanko which saw a steady stream of visitors.
Another programme was organised at Nimtala crematorium by
Kolkata Municipal Corporation.
Officials said the schools under the West Bengal Board of
Secondary Education would be closed tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off