Tagore remembered on 70th death anniversary
Kolkata: The 70th death anniversary of Nobel
laureate Rabindranath Tagore was observed with children from
various schools participating in processions in many parts of
the metropolis braving heavy rains.
School children took out processions singing Tagore`s
songs to mark his death anniversary as also his
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee led one procession of
school children from Harish Park near her Kalighat residence
and joined in singing `Aguner Parashmani`.
Finance minister Amit Mitra, Commerce and Industry
minister Partha Chatterjee, Education minister Bratya Basu,
Sudip Bandopadhyay, MP and Trinamool Congress legislator and
actor Debashree Roy took part in other processions that were
A programme `Kavi pronam` (tribute to the poet) was held
at Jorasanko which saw a steady stream of visitors.
Another programme was organised at Nimtala crematorium by
Kolkata Municipal Corporation.
Officials said the schools under the West Bengal Board of
Secondary Education would be closed tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video