Tagore remembered on 70th death anniversary
Kolkata: The 70th death anniversary of Nobel
laureate Rabindranath Tagore was observed with children from
various schools participating in processions in many parts of
the metropolis braving heavy rains.
School children took out processions singing Tagore`s
songs to mark his death anniversary as also his
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee led one procession of
school children from Harish Park near her Kalighat residence
and joined in singing `Aguner Parashmani`.
Finance minister Amit Mitra, Commerce and Industry
minister Partha Chatterjee, Education minister Bratya Basu,
Sudip Bandopadhyay, MP and Trinamool Congress legislator and
actor Debashree Roy took part in other processions that were
A programme `Kavi pronam` (tribute to the poet) was held
at Jorasanko which saw a steady stream of visitors.
Another programme was organised at Nimtala crematorium by
Kolkata Municipal Corporation.
Officials said the schools under the West Bengal Board of
Secondary Education would be closed tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi