Tagore`s death anniversary: Holiday in Bengal
Kolkata: To mark the sesquicentennial of
Rabindranath Tagore, West Bengal government has declared
August 8, the death anniversary of the bard, a holiday in all
its offices and establishments.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today said she would
urge the Centre to declare Tagore`s death anniversary a
national holiday.`` I will write to the Centre in this
``In 1987 during the 125th birth anniversary of the
poet, I had taken the initiative of requesting the then Prime
Minister Rajiv Gandhi to declare Tagore`s birthday a national
holiday, which he did,`` she said.
Banerjee said processions of children would be taken
out on August 8 from Tagore`s ancestral house at Jorasanko,
from Harish Mukherjee street and another from Park circus and
would converge at Shahid Minar on August 8.
``I myself will be in the procession from Harish
Mukherjee Street,`` she said.
Elaborate programmes had been chalked out for August
8, 9 and 10, which included illuminating Tagore`s ancestral
house at Jorasanko, Rabindra Sadan, Rabindra Bhavans in the
districts and all establishments which have the memory of
A programme is also being organised at Netaji Indoor
stadium to spread the message of Tagore.
All railway stations under the Eastern, South Eastern,
NF Railway and Metro Railways would be illuminated, she
Banerjee said the state government had decided to set
up a Rabindra academy at Mongpu in Darjeeling where the poet
had lived for some time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch